Tuscan White Bean soup

|
I used to hate beans and pretty much refused to make anything containing them. Last year I decided to try to eat healthier and gave them a try again... and fell in love! I still don't cook with them nearly as often as I should, but I keep them on hand now all the time - especially cannellini and great northern for this soup.

You can easily play with this recipe - adding sausage, chicken, different types of pastas, subbing chard or other greens for the spinach - if you use chard, sautee for a couple minutes in olive oil before adding to the pot. I use whatever I have on hand from my CSA.

This week it nicely used up my spinach. I also used 4 cups of chicken stock from the freezer, a shallot from a previous week's CSA, and topped it with leftover shredded parmesan. I had the canned tomatoes, beans, garlic and pasta on hand already. All that had to be purchased was a nice loaf of roasted garlic bread to go with it.


Tuscan White Bean and Spinach soup
from Recipezaar

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1 shallot, finely diced
4 cups fat free chicken broth or vegetable stock
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can white beans (cannellini or other)
1/2 cup whole wheat pasta shells or shell pasta
1 teaspoon rosemary
3 cups baby spinach, cleaned and trimmed
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 dash crushed red pepper flakes

Directions

1. In a large sauce pan, sautee the shallots & garlic in the olive oil.
2. Add broth, tomatoes, beans and rosemary to pot. Season with black and red pepper. Bring to boil.
3. Add pasta and cook 12 minutes. If the soup seems too thick for your liking add a bit more broth.
4. Add spinach and cook until wilted.

0 comments:

Post a Comment